Root Canal Therapy
Do you suffer from a painful toothache or highly sensitive teeth? Your root canal may be infected.
When the nerve of a tooth is affected by decay, infection, or trauma, it may become painful, extra sensitive, or begin to change colour. In such cases, your dentist may recommend root canal treatment.
At West Ryde Dental Clinic, our root canal therapy is comfortable and effective. If the pain affects your daily routine, the best thing you can do is to see us as soon as possible. The sooner you visit West Ryde Dental Clinic, the more quickly you will feel better and pain-free again.
How Root Canal Treatment Helps
The root canal procedure may sound painful, but in reality the procedure aims to eliminate the pain that results from toothache and infection. In fact, root canal treatment is one of the most effective ways to relieve some kinds of dental pain.
Root canal treatment is necessary if infection reaches the pulp tissue of a tooth. When the pulp (or nerve) of the tooth has been affected, it is essential to remove all the debris and sterilize the canal, and then fill the canal with a material to prevent future infections. This procedure alleviates the pain by removing the pulp layer of the damaged tooth.
The Process of Root Canal Treatment
- The dentist will take an X-ray of the affected tooth to see the shape of the root canals and check for any signs of infection in the surrounding bone
- To start the procedure, the dentist will use a local anaesthesia to numb the area near the affected tooth
- The dentist will place a rubber dam around the tooth to keep the area dry
- The dentist will drill an access hole into the tooth to remove the infected pulp and bacteria
- Using root canal files, the dentist will clean and shape the root canal. The dentist may use water or sodium hypochlorite periodically to flush way the debris
- After the cleaning procedure, the dentist will then seal the tooth.
- The final step is the restoration of the tooth with a filling or dental crown
Root Canal Procedure at West Ryde Dental Clinic
All root canals at West Ryde Dental Clinic are completed under a rubber dam to ensure the root canal remains isolated and sterile. A combination of files, irrigation, and medication are used to then complete the preparation of the tooth.
At West Ryde Dental Clinic, we use the latest technology, including apex locators and rotary files, to ensure minimal trauma and time spent in the dental chair. X-rays are also taken at the completion of your root canal procedure.
A well-performed root canal therapy allows a tooth to function normally, saving it from extraction. Root canal procedure has a documented success rate of over 90%. The entire treatment is performed under local anaesthetic, so you will feel comfortable and painless throughout the procedure.