Dental Health Week is an annual campaign started by the Australian Dental Association (ADA) and will be on 3 – 9 August.
The campaign aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing teeth at least twice daily with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily.
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist for a routine check-up and preventive care.
This Dental Health Week campaign also stresses the oral health benefits that come with making healthy choices.
The tagline ‘how much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’ aims to make people conscious of what’s in the food they’re consuming.
This information is supported by the three main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and drinks with added sugars.
- Choose foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Be on the lookout for hidden sugars when purchasing foods and beverage.
Not purchasing an unhealthy item while grocery shopping means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
We may assume that everyone is doing a good oral hygiene routine; the reality is, the oral health of many Australians is not near where it should be.
- Less than half of the Australian adult population have had dental check-ups in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth ONCE per day.
- Almost 40% of Australians never floss between their teeth.
- 73% of young people consume too much sugar.
- 47% of adults consume too much sugar.
There are several different ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week this year.
A visit to your trusted West Ryde dentist is great for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
The West Ryde Dental Clinic Advantage
West Ryde Dental Clinic’s services and treatments are 100% personalised to you and your personal needs.
Our dentists are highly motivated and accredited practitioners with graduate degrees from the University of Sydney.
Alongside our dentists, the supporting staff at West Ryde Dental Clinic are extremely talented, dedicated, and experienced. Working together, we ensure that each visit with us is as pleasant as possible.
GAP FREE Promotion for New Patients
We believe prevention is essential to a beautiful and healthy smile, and so we will do everything we can to minimise any barriers to visiting the dentist.
To achieve this, we do not charge a gap payment from any health fund for preventative services, and this includes your six-monthly check-up, scale and cleans, check-up X-rays, intraoral photos, personalised treatment plan and fluoride treatments.
*for new patients only
Call us on (02) 9809 7000 or book your appointment online TODAY!
We are located at Shop 20 West Ryde Marketplace, 14 Anthony Road in West Ryde.