A knocked-out tooth is a medical emergency that needs immediate, professional attention.
Keep in mind that a knocked out baby tooth and an avulsed permanent tooth require different action. However, when someone’s tooth has been knocked it is crucial to see your dentist immediately.
What to do?
- Find the tooth immediately.
- Hold it by crown and not by the root.
- In case the tooth is dirty, rinse it water. However don’t use soap or detergents. Also, do not scrub, dry or wrap the tooth in a tissue or cloth.
- For adult teeth: reinsert the tooth into its original position if possible. If you can’t reinsert the tooth, put it in a container containing milk or saliva.
- Hold the tooth in place by biting down on a clean handkerchief
- Go to the nearest emergency room or visit your dentist as soon a possible within 30 minutes of the injury.
For a knocked-out baby tooth:
If your child’s tooth has been knocked out, you must not try to reinsert it as this can damage the permanent teeth developing underneath. Instead, keep the tooth moist and go see your dentist immediately.
Treatment for a Knocked-out Tooth
For a tooth that has been reinserted, the dentist will make sure that it is in the right position by examination and taking an X-ray. The dentist will numb the affected site to reinsert the tooth (if necessary) without causing you pain.
The dentist may perform a splinting technique to hold the tooth in position for several days or weeks. If the area sustained more damaged, the healing time may take between 6 to 8 weeks. The dentist will observe the condition of the tooth and the replant during subsequent visits to check for the any presence of infection as well as the success of the treatment.
Same-Day Emergency Response at West Ryde Dental Clinic
We are committed to providing emergency patients with quality same-day care. Upon your arrival, we will quickly diagnose your condition and offer the best course of action to save your tooth or repair the damaged tissue.
Your Trusted Emergency Dentist in West Ryde
If you are in pain, call as soon as possible for an emergency appointment. Your West Ryde Dental Clinic dentists can address almost all types of dental emergencies. We are a skilled and responsive team ready to do everything possible to help you smile again.
Our clinic is open from Mondays to Fridays to cater to your dental needs, whether it’s an emergency or not.
Same-day Emergency Appointment Guaranteed!