Lost Tooth Filling or Dental Crown
These treatments are two of the most fundamental treatments in dentistry, because they help you maintain good dental health.
However, even though they are made of sturdy materials, your fillings or crowns may still come loose and fall out for various reasons, such as:
- Loss of tooth structure
- Secondary cavities that develop under the crown
- Breakage of crown due to eating hard foods or using the tooth as a tool
- Chewing on sticky or very hard foods
- Defective cementation of the dental restoration to the tooth
- Improper preparation of tooth or crown
First Aid for Lost Filling or Crown
Though losing a crown or filling is not a medical emergency, the pain and discomfort can still cause you inconvenience especially if it occurs while you are at work or in school. The affected tooth can become highly sensitive to hot and cold temperatures
For a lost dental crown:
- Clean the crown and put it in a safe place.
- Put a few drops of clove oil on a cotton swab and apply it to the affected tooth. This is to help reduce pain and sensitivity.
- If you can’t go to your dentist right away, you can use temporary dental cement or a petroleum jelly (as an alternative) to keep your crown in place. DO NOT use household glue as it can damage the crown.
- Go to your dentist immediately to get proper treatment.
For lost tooth filling:
- Put a few drops of clove oil on a cotton swab and apply it to the affected area to alleviate pain.
- Purchase temporary dental cement for a quick fix.
- If dental cement is not available, you can use a piece of sugar-free gum to cover the cavity
- See a dentist as soon as possible
Same-Day Emergency Response at West Ryde Dental Clinic
When you make an appointment, one of our doctors or nurses may ask you questions over the phone about the pain or injury you have sustained, so we can best prepare for your appointment and allocate sufficient time for your treatment.
Your Trusted Emergency Dentist in West Ryde
For any lost restorations such as fillings, crowns, or inlay/onlay, it’s crucial to contact your dentist at West Ryde Dental Clinic. We can address almost all types of dental emergencies. We are a skilled and responsive team ready to do everything possible to help you smile again.
Our clinic is open from Mondays to Fridays to cater to your dental needs, whether it’s an emergency or not.
Same-day Emergency Appointment Guaranteed!