The holiday season is here and we would like to take this opportunity to wish all our patients a happy holiday season. No matter what holidays you celebrate at this time of year, we want you to be safe, enjoy your family, and maintain good oral health for the holiday season and beyond.
To help keep your smile bright and healthy during the busy and party-filled season, your trusted dentist at West Ryde Dental Clinic provides oral care tips for the holidays. Here are 12 days of holiday dental tips (One for each “day of Christmas!!”) to see you (and your teeth) safely through the season.
4 Count Down to Christmas Strategies For Kids!
Counting down to Christmas with an advent calendar is a fun for kids, but if they are filled with chocolate and sweets, it isn’t so great for their teeth. Here are some better ways to count down.
- Holiday Activity Fun – For each day of the month come up with a fun holiday activity that you can do together as a family. Write down the activity on a slip of paper and tuck one note into each day of your advent calendar.
- A Puzzling Treat – Give your child a fun challenge with a customized puzzle. Draw a picture or write a special message on a blank puzzle. Break the pieces apart and place one puzzle piece in each day of your advent calendar.
- Sugar-Free Trinkets – Find some simple trinkets to fill each day on your calendar instead of candy. The dollar store is a great place to find fun items without spending a lot.
- Story-A-Day – Nothing beats a good story. Pick out a holiday-themed book for every day of your countdown. Have your child open a new book each night at bedtime and read it together.
General Holiday Tips
- Carol while you clean. Most dentists recommend brushing for at least two minutes. Which can be difficult. But if you hum a few verses and choruses of a favorite holiday song while you brush, you’ll likely spend the time you need.
- Visit us at West Ryde Dental! – Dental cleanings are vital for your oral health. They help clean your teeth, nourish and strengthen your teeth, build an awesome smile, and prevent things like tooth decay and gum disease. The Christmas holiday can be very damaging to teeth, so it’s important you give them best chance of survival by getting a professional checkup and clean and regular dental checkups.
- Practice Moderation – Moderation is an important concept that can be hard for kids to grasp (and sometimes even harder for adults!). Set a good example by exhibiting balance, especially in what you eat. Fill your plate with veggies and proteins, which will give you the nutrition you need to enjoy the holiday season, and provide an example for your younger family members!
- Focus on meaning –We often structure holiday events around food and drink, but this is not great for your teeth or figure. So, take the focus off of food, set up activities like board and card games, craft projects or holiday movie marathons.
- Stay away from sweets and chocolates. Most of us eat too many sweets, chocolates and unhealthy food during the holidays. This increase in the quantity of sugar consumed creates more acids and bacteria that can attack our teeth and gums, leading to tooth decay and eventually toothache. While it is probably unrealistic to cut out ALL sugar for the holidays, it is worth considering tooth friendly alternatives such as nuts and cheese that are less acidic and can reduce some of the damage that sugar can do.
- Dip into veggies
At holiday events, skip the trays of Christmas cookies and brownies and instead fill your plate with veggies. Broccoli and carrots are great treats for your teeth because they’re loaded with Vitamin A!
- Stock your stockings well – Christmas stockings are often stuffed with sugary treats that can cause cavities. Consider eliminating candy altogether or stick to one sweet item, perhaps even something sugar-free. Also consider giving a cool new toothbrush as part of the holiday loot.
- Have a routine. Santa teaches his reindeer to teeth two times a day, for two minutes each time. If it’s good enough for Santa, it should be good enough for you! Following oral hygiene instructions keeps your mouth healthy in December and all year long.
The West Ryde Dental Clinic team hopes you have a safe, happy and healthy holiday and we can’t wait to see your bright smile in the coming New Year.
The West Ryde Dental Clinic Advantage
At West Ryde Dental Clinic, we provide you with personalised service. All our dentists are highly motivated and accredited practitioners with graduate degrees from the University of Sydney. As well as the dentists, the supporting staff at West Ryde Dental Clinic are highly dedicated and experienced to ensure each visit with us is comfortable as possible. West Ryde Dental Clinic is your trusted West Ryde dentist.
General Check-up, Scale and Clean, X-rays and Fluoride treatment (with any health insurance)
*New patients only
Marketplace Employees Discount
10% discount for employees in the Marketplace
10% discount for seniors