Happy Valentine’s Day from West Ryde Dental Clinic! Modern Valentine’s Day began in the early 19th century.
Anonymous Valentine’s Day cards were a popular way for young lovers to exchange sentiments of love.
Other items associated with Valentine’s Day include chocolate and flowers.
The tradition of giving chocolates has been around for decades, and Richard Cadbury created the first box of Valentine’s Day chocolates nearly 150 years ago, causing ongoing worries about Valentine’s Day dental health.
Today, Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love and romance. But it can be difficult to feel romantic if you suffer from dental issues that cut away at your confidence.
At West Ryde Dental Clinic, we want you to have a great Valentine’s Day, and offer you the following advice to make sure you can get as close to your loved ones as you want to!
Nothing is as unromantic as leaning in for a kiss and suddenly catching a whiff of something nasty.
And it may be even worse if it’s your romantic interest that leans in to kiss you and smells something bad on your breath.
West Ryde Dental Clinic suggests you take care of bad breath before it becomes a social or romantic problem.
- Don’t forget to brush and floss. Brush twice a day and clean between your teeth daily with floss to get rid of all that bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Avoid foods that can cause your mouth to smell such as garlic and onions.
- Carry sugarless gum or increase your fluid intake before the big night to decrease dry mouth.
- Kick the habit. Tobacco products can cause bad breath, stain teeth and irritate gum tissues.
- Over-the-counter mouthwashes can help kill bacteria or neutralise and temporarily mask bad breath.
- Visit your West Ryde dentist regularly.
Quickly Brighten Your Teeth
Dingy teeth can be a mood killer. For a quick at-home solution, baking soda, a mild abrasive agent, is an effective teeth-whitening remedy if used responsibly.
It works best for surface stains and plaque removal and also prevents discolouration.
Whitening strips and OTC gels can also be used for quick results. But the best quick-brightening technique is to visit West Ryde Dental Clinic for whitening treatment.
We “Heart” Dental Health!
Valentine’s Day is all about our hearts, and believe it or not dental health may be able to increase your heart’s health!
Recent studies show that if you have gum disease in a moderate or advanced stage, you’re at a higher risk for heart disease.
Your oral health can also provide warning signs for a range of diseases and conditions, including heart conditions. So, keep your oral health up, keep your heart healthy, and enjoy your loved ones on Valentine’s Day!
Take Care of that Candy!
Though Valentine’s Day was originally about a Christian martyr in 5th century Rome, today it’s about hearts, romantic gestures, and buckets of candied treats.
Trays of specialty chocolates, Valentine-themed candies, text messages on candied hearts, and Valentine’s cards kits with chocolate built-ins are all available at most local stores.
But take care of that candy – it can lead to plaque, tartar, and decay! Beyond regular tooth brushing, flossing and six month dental exams and cleanings, there are a few ways to combat the effects of Valentine’s Day candies.
- Drink water between sweets or use it to swish out your mouth.
- Use a mouthwash with fluoride in it. Fluoride has been proven in many studies to keep tooth enamel strong against the effects of sugar, bacteria, plaque and tartar.
- Consider a sealant for your teeth. Sealants are usually applied to the teeth of children, but they can work at all ages to protect against decay.
- Enjoy your favourite Valentine’s treats and avoid the rest. Don’t go overboard!
Moderation is the key. Special days like Valentine’s Day can be fun and include delicious treats, but always keep in mind the effects they can have in the long run.
Prepare for Next Year
While only so much can be done this year, it’s not too early to consider what you’d like your smile, breath, and dental health to be like next year.
At West Ryde Dental Clinic we offer:
- Take-home and in-office teeth whitening.
- Scale and clean to reduce bad breath
- Veneers, Bridges, and Implants to improve the appearance
And many more dental treatments that can improve your appearance and social life.
Here’s a short video “Tips for the Perfect Valentine’s Day Smile from your West Ryde Dentist”:
The West Ryde Dental Clinic Advantage
At West Ryde Dental Clinic, our service and our dentures are 100% personalised for you.
All our dentists are highly motivated and accredited practitioners with graduate degrees from the University of Sydney.
As well as the dentists, the supporting staff at West Ryde Dental Clinic are highly dedicated and experienced to ensure each visit with us is as comfortable as possible.
General Check-up, Scale and Clean, X-rays and Fluoride treatment (with any health insurance) *for new patients only
Teeth Whitening – $600 Philips Zoom whitening in-chair Marketplace Employees Discount
10% discount for employees in the Marketplace Call (02) 9809 7000 or visit us at Shop 20 West Ryde Marketplace 14 Anthony Road in West Ryde.